Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Surprise on my Doorstep

I came home from Bible study last night to find a homeless man sleeping on my front porch. This is usually impossible because the neighbors occupy that spot most nights, but they found something else to do and this guy decided that was where he was spending the night.

I was a little concerned at first, but as I was getting ready to step over him so I could get to my door, he started apologizing and talking about how he just wanted to get off the street. I felt really sorry for him and told him he could stay (at least until the neighbors found him).

He was gone in the morning. Someone probably chased him away eventually. I still feel really sad for him. I haven't paid attention to the homeless people for a while; I think I got used to them. This encounter reminded me that they need compassion and somewhere safe to sleep.

I know I am strange, but I am going to miss the homeless people when I leave midtown.

2 comments:

Rahime said...

Where are you going to live anyways?


I miss you.

Jessica said...

I am moving to Curtis Park. It really isn't far from where I am now, just a little farther south.

I miss you too.