Friday, December 08, 2006

One Week Down

I just finished my first week at my new job. I am tired. Mostly I am tired because I am still working at the restaurant from hell. But I am also sick and unused to working on a traditional schedule. I haven't had to be anywhere before noon more than a few times a week in years. Even when I did so, it was always a choice.

So far, I feel very confined by my work schedule. I feel trapped, but I suppose I will get over that in time. Perhaps when I feel more comfortable in my position at work or something. Right now, I don't have a lot to do. I have no real defined job description, and my supervisor just started as well, so she can't give me much direction because she is still trying to figure out what her job is. I think I will feel better about the job when I know what I am supposed to do.

One thing I have learned this week is that even though I feel very strongly about the work of my agency, I do not want to be a State employee for very long. I might stay around long enough to work at the DoJ for a while eventually, but I want to move into a non-profit or an organization in which the wheels don't turn quite so slowly, and where people with my skills are actually closer to the work actually being done. I spent some time reading about the great work the agency is doing, but odds are, I will never get closer than meeting the people who are impacting working with the people impacting the community. So I am prepared to do my job, get what I can out of it, and move on to somewhere else...

3 comments:

eternity said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rahime said...

I'm glad you've started. When do you finish at the restaurant?

I feel like the living dead right now. I'm on day 7 so far of 17 straight work days and 'Chung's family came for dinner tonight. It was nice to see them all, but I'm wiped out.

Hope to see you before too long.

:)

Sarah said...

It does get better! The schedule, I mean. It really, truly does. I thought I was going to kill my schedule if it didn't kill me first for the first couple of months at my job, but I did get used to it. I think you will.

Cheers! ;)