Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Christmas Eve

It really isn't Christmas Eve, but it felt like it at work today. The Agency I work for is getting a new director tomorrow, and everyone in the building is full of hopes and fears. For my part I am hopeful.

I think that the core program could be much better than it is even with the present lack of funding. However, there has been a lack of leadership and direction. As I have sat in my seat for the last seven months, I have seen a lot of people working very hard to do the best they can without leadership. If they had leadership they could do even greater things than they have been doing. Officially, my job is to support these people. However, I have not had permission to do as much as I could have to assist them. I hope that changes.

I have been frustrated with my job because the agency has issues with leadership that micromanages. I haven't been able to do much, though I am fortunate that I have had more to do than most of the other people in my unit. I like being given a job to do and being allowed to do it. Right now I have nominal duties that I can only do when my supervisor is standing over me watching. She hasn't had much time for that lately so I have mostly been left to my own devices to fill my time in a purposeful manner.

I am told that tomorrow everything changes. That the agency will no longer function on a "need to know" basis, that people will be given specific duties and be empowered to perform them, and that it will become a community of people working together for a single purpose. I remain somewhat skeptical, but if we at least move in that direction, I will be extrememly happy.

0 comments: