Thursday, July 12, 2007

Update










Two weeks ago, Katie and I went backpacking. It was a nice time to rest from work and doing ten thousand things at once and get some exercise. The Tahoe fire got in the way of our plans to spend some time in the Desloation Wilderness, so we went south to the Mokelumne Wilderness instead. This wilderness has a lot more vegetation than the Deslolation and was full of wildflowers and lots of green grass.

We spent our first night in the most windy place on earth. Between a mishap with our stove, and the fact that the wind kept us awake all night, we had an interesting beginning to our weekend. We moved to a place called Fourth of July Lake, which was thankfully out of the wind. (I had a hilarious "Who's on First" type of conversation with a ranger over the phone trying to explain that I wanted to camp at Fourth of July Lake, our second destination, until July first.)

We spent the night in a meadow next to the lake on a landing on the way farther into the canyon. Since we didn't have to hide from the wind, we were able to enjoy the freakishly bright full moon and the warm weather. It was a peaceful time, followed by a crazy hike (straight) up out of the wilderness. We kept trying to take pictures that would illustrate how steep the trail was, but I don't think we succeeded in doing so. I'll have to see her pictures.

Izzy and I spent the Fourth of July with my family. We went to the Folsom rodeo with my parents and had a lot of fun. Unfortunately I forgot my camera. I was disappointed because Izzy has the best facial expressions ever when he is enjoying himself. Watching him was more fun than watching the fireworks.

After the rodeo, we spent the night at my parents' house. I was particularly thankful for this because hundred and ten degree heat and my apartment that has no air conditioning are not a good combination. We spent the fourth enjoying the mountains, and Rahime and 'Chung and some neighbors came over for dinner.

Last weekend we did nothing and it was wonderful. Now it is almost time for another busy weekend.

0 comments: